Hi,

You don't have to define anything to RACF to use IPCS but you can do
some really useful analysis of a live system if you do.

If you define BLSACTV.ADDRSPAC and BLSACTV.SYSTEM to the FACILITY class
you can use IPCS as a fairly powerful storage browser.  In anything but
an ISV sandbox you would want to define these with UACC(NONE) and permit
use on limited basis.  Bob Rogers talked about the new capability
briefly during his session 2878 - z/OS 1.9: Sysprog Goody Bag at SHARE
in Orlando.  SYSTEM is new ADDRSPAC previously existed and functionality
has been enhanced.

http://shareew.prod.web.sba.com/client_files/callpapers/attach/SHARE_in_
Orlando/S2878RR181322.pdf

Live system analysis with IPCS
IPCS ACTIVE
 Users with no special authorization now can ask IPCS ACTIVE to
access data spaces that unauthorized code can see that are
owned by the ASID.
 Facility class BLSACTIVE ADDRSPAC read access now permits
all data spaces owned by the ASID to be viewed.
 Facility class BLSACTV SYSTEM read access now permits
access to the following:
 ABSOLUTE storage, All ASIDs, All data spaces
 IPCS does not serialize (Caveat emptor)
 Static areas of the system can yield good analysis
 Areas of the system that are altered frequently cannot

| Storage is accessed incrementally on demand, and IPCS generally
| remains enabled. As a result, ACTIVE storage might be subject to
| frequent changes, which can prevent the analysis programs from
| producing useful results.

| ABSOLUTE, ASID, DSPNAME, and HEADER keywords are supported. Access to
| sensitive storage areas, such as ABSOLUTE, is limited using facility
| classes. When the user does not have the authority, the access
| attempts are handled as though the storage in question was not
| included in a dump.

| With no special authority, IPCS can access the following storage:

| The common and private storage in its own ASID visible to a key 8
| application

| The data spaces owned by its own ASID and visible to a key 8
| application

| Before z/OS V1R9 no data space access was supported.

| With read authority to facility class BLSACTV.ADDRSPAC, IPCS can look
| at the following storage (in addition to those storage areas it can
| access with no special authority) :

| The common and private storage visible to a key 0 application

| All data spaces owned by its own ASID

| Before z/OS V1R9 no data space access was supported.

| With read authority to facility class BLSACTV.SYSTEM, IPCS can look at

| the following storage (in addition to those storage areas it can
| access with no special authority) :

| The ABSOLUTE storage

| Other ASIDs

| The data spaces owned by other ASIDs

| BLSACTV.SYSTEM support was added in z/OS V1R9.

| Note: IPCS artificially attributes CADS ownerships to ASID(1) as it
| also does for the page frame table space, ASID(1)
| DSPNAME(IARPFT). Consistent with this perspective
| BLSACTV.SYSTEM authority is required to access these data
| spaces.

        Best Regards,

                Sam Knutson, GEICO
                System z Performance and Availability Management
                mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
                (office)  301.986.3574

"Think big, act bold, start simple, grow fast..."