>Hmmm, I find it interesting that I have two votes for IBMs Debug Tool, which
>is completely unusable to me. We write C++ programs here. My main app is
>something like 200 object modules.
>
>When I write a "Hello world" test app, fire it up under IBMs debug tool, it
>works great. When I try to debug our actual application, either the size or
>complexity is such that it just hacks up hairballs and dies.
>
>So I have filled my sources full of DEBUGX lines that I turn and off by
>module, and debug in batch via what turn out to be CEEMSG's.
>
>So are there viable alternatives to IBMs debug tool, or is this the one? If
>this is the one, I will have to give it another go so that I can explain in
>detail how it behaves badly.

Sounds like a IBM needs to improve Debug Tool for debugging C++ code!
Have you tried reporting these problems to us (IBM) and getting us to
fix them?  Debug Tool was not so good in the 1990s, but since we have
improved it (hookless debugging, most of the features of other
debuggers) we have gotten a tremendous number of users (at least for
COBOL, PL/I and C, not sure about C++) and have solved many problems.
Debug tool changed dramatically between 2000 and 2004 especially,
and many customers tell us it is better than the rest now!
By the way, I think IBM has the only debugger for IBM C and C++ on z/OS.

Cheers,
TomR              >> COBOL is the Language of the Future! <<