On Tue, 22 Apr 2008 20:54:25 +0000, John P Donnelly wrote:

>  …we are about 10 days into a BRE aka Disaster Recovery
Exercise…couple
>things if may…

Clippage around the stuff I can't help with...

>  - one of our procedures is to DELETE NOSCRATCH thousands of production
>datasets; catalog cleanup before dataset restore…this process took hours
>to execute…might this be related to the CATALOG AUTOTUNE in our 1.7
>system?

I do this too. I found that if you chop these deletes up into smaller batches,
they run a lot faster. I don't have a specific number in mind nor any rationale
for it, but I seem to recall things slowing down quite a bit once you get
beyond about 5000 deletes. It has something to do with CATALOG, but I don't
know what. At the DR tests, we're usually concentrating on getting systems
up and running, so looking for the cause of an annoyance is pretty low priority.

Good Luck