Hello Fellow Listers,

In addition to my full time position as a systems programmer in the Washington
DC Metro area, I'm also a part-time doctoral student in Computer Science.  The
time has come for me to start thinking about dissertation topics and research,
and I could certainly use some advice.

I am firmly committed to the belief that the "rusty old mainframe" (as some of
my UNIX colleagues call it) will be around for years to come, and to that end,
I would like to direct my dissertation research efforts towards a topic related
to mainframe system performance, specifically as it relates to DB2 performance.
 I'm not interested in examining any aspect of SQL or other application-related
performance specifically, but I am interested in how DB2 as a subsystem
interacts with z/OS.  I realize literally tons of work has been done in this
area, but it is my primary area of interest, and I'm a glutton for punishment,
of sorts.

I know there are several "practitioner/academics" who frequent this list that
are performance gurus.  I'd sincerely appreciate any advice you can give on the
selection of an appropriate area of research and dissertation topic.  Please
feel free to email me directly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Allen Jaques
"Systems Programmer and Part-Time Starving Grad Student"
[EMAIL PROTECTED]