WLM just gave the CPU to NDM.  It's not a problem unless you had other
higher importance workload affected.

Well, I disagree with your "it's not a problem" statement because OP said,
"This caused us to hit our softcap and affected other tasks in the system."

The softcap issue could be resolved by Dave Thorn's suggestion of putting it
into a resource group with a max specification.

I should have been clearer by saying it's not a problem with WLM. If the SOFTCAP is the problem, then I agree that you should use a resource group to limit CPU. That will also cause NDM to run longer. We turned off compression in our file transfer product (not NDM) because we found that the transmit time savings were negligible compared to the CPU used to compress/decompress the data.

Regards,
Tom Conley