-----Original Message-----
From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Gary Green
Sent: Wednesday, May 07, 2008 10:15 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Another one bites the dust.

As the subject says...

http://searchdatacenter.techtarget.com/news/article/0,289142,sid80_gci13
12380,00.html?track=NL-576&ad=638786&asrc=EM_NLN_3601410&uid=1900046

<SNIP>

My cynicallity tuning knob almost snapped at the end of the range when I
read that they have saved money on this, but they can't disclose how
much.

Let's see, after getting enough hardware to take over what a sysplex was
doing across two data centers... The extra RAID based devices to handle
the data that can't be compressed (packed fields must now be full
display formats...), the extra bandwidth needed to have all the new
processors interconnected similar to the incore interconnections...

One shop I know of that attempted this (CICS based) took 10 times the
floor space to replace 1 z800 box and the RAID box, the 3745s (2), the
tape drives with "OPEN" systems. Let's see, that was 4 of the Largest
Regattas (at that time) 2 SHARKs, TWO ATLs, and I couldn't even count
the blade servers.

I guess I'm from Missouri and just didn't know it.

However, I know of another company that did it. And it was successful.
But they also wouldn't demonstrate the ROI (if there were any).

Regards,
Steve Thompson

-- All opinions expressed by me are my own and may not necessarily
reflect those of my employer. --