I always wonder about that as well. However, part of it may be some
"special deals" that they got from their vendors. If that were
published, then many other, smaller, customers might be upset. Just a
thought.

> Let's see, after getting enough hardware to take over what a
> sysplex was
> doing across two data centers... The extra RAID based devices
> to handle
> the data that can't be compressed (packed fields must now be full
> display formats...), the extra bandwidth needed to have all the new
> processors interconnected similar to the incore interconnections...

Why do you say that packed fields must be replaced with zoned (display)
fields? I would likely replace them with either 2, 4, or 8 byte
integers, depending on the range needed. I don't know of any system,
other than the z10, which implements decimal floating point yet, so I
would not use that.

> One shop I know of that attempted this (CICS based) took 10 times the
> floor space to replace 1 z800 box and the RAID box, the 3745s (2), the
> tape drives with "OPEN" systems. Let's see, that was 4 of the Largest
> Regattas (at that time) 2 SHARKs, TWO ATLs, and I couldn't even count
> the blade servers.

Well, the tape drives, if in an ATL, should take up about the same floor
space. Open Systems DASD always seems to be at least 2x the mainframe
size. I guess because of the difficulty in expanding individual file
systems. This latter has been addressed by the Sun zfs file system. Now
that is an interesting file system, with some nice features, including
resizing "on the fly". Also "snapshot" capability in the software. Not
perfect, but better than any other UNIX file system that I've read
about. Beat the you-know-what out of NTFS (Windows).

--
John McKown
Senior Systems Programmer

The information contained in this e-mail message may be privileged
and/or confidential.  It is for intended addressee(s) only.  If you are
reproduction, distribution or other use of this communication is
strictly prohibited and could, in certain circumstances, be a criminal
offense.  If you have received this e-mail in error, please notify the
sender by reply and delete this message without copying or disclosing
it.