>We had COBOL (CICS and batch) that called some 24bit
assembler routines, and they would fail with ALL31
on.

Our Application Programmers would jibber in fright if they ever had to modify
(or even read) an Assembler programmes.

One thing Y2K did was verify our application portfolio was all COBOL.

The assembler routines were all written as 31-bit, back when CICS started
supporting it.
Our management team was very progressive back then.
-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!