On Tue, 20 May 2008 12:40:24 -0700, Edward Jaffe
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Modern (emulated) 3270 devices generally tell the PLU that they can
>handle extended color orders via the response to Read-Partition
Query.
>That tells the PLU such orders will not be rejected by the SLU.
>
>I do not believe the SLU will ever reject an attribute with extended
>color prior to the query exchange. The device accepts what it accepts
at
>all times. The query response simply tells the host side that it's OK to
>send such orders.

True, but at the time USS messages and commands are processed
there IS no PLU; all this is taking place on the SSCP-LU session.
(Ok.  You could be sending a LOGOFF cmd on the SSCP-LU session
to break an existing LU-LU session, but no message is involved.)

I'm pretty sure VTAM never issues a QUERY on the SSCP-LU session,
and it's even less likely that a Tn3270 server does that on its
emulated SSCP-LU session.

I think that doesn't change anything you said, but I also think
that you're outside of any standards if you use extended data
streams for USS datam

Pat O'Keefe