Tony

> Well, the restatement is still rather overspecified. TN3270 is a protocol,
> not
a particular set of client and server software, originally rather loosely
specified, which has been more clearly and accurately defined over time in
RFCs 1647 and 2355.

Strictly TN3270 is not a protocol but a set of "practices" built upon the
TELNET protocol - I guess that's what you mean to imply with "rather loosely
specified". What RFCs 1647 and 2355 describe is a formal statement of an
enhanced protocol TN3270E. RFC 2355 refers to RFC 1576 as
defining "traditional" TN3270 but the title of RFC 1576 is "TN3270 Current
Practices". I take it from all of this that "TN3270" is the short-hand in the
RFCs rather than a strict protocol. Certainly hairs are being split here!

However TN3270 is most definitely a piece of (at least) server software. You
need only locate chapter 15 of the CS IP Configuration Reference manual.
Since the server gained TN3270E capability it has named itself the TN3270E
server. I tend not to bother with the "E" which, in any case, represents an
optional capability.

> Obviously TN3270 servers for non z platforms are fairly rare, since there is
not often native application support for 3270 data streams, but they do exist
as part of commercial products.

I believe that TN3270 - probably today TN3270E - servers may be regarded as
mainstream products - even if a small number - since they would behave as,
for example, 3174s. There existence is anticipated in RFC 2355 in, at least,
the discussion of the SSCP function where they constitute what I call
the "passthrough" mode of support for USS traffic. This topic has been
discussed many times in this list. There is no need to insist on "native
application support for 3270 data streams" for the TN3270 server!

> The System z TN3270 clients for both z/OS and z/VM are a little unusual in
two respects:

> They are both called TELNET rather than TN3270, though they behave
about like any other TN3270 client;

At least for the z/OS client, TELNET is a quite correct - and so "usual" -
designation for a product that behaves as a basic TELNET client as well as
being able to negotiate additional function such as 3270 data stream support.
I just don't get your point here!

> Since they are invoked from a terminal session that is already logged in to a
3270, they don't have to remap keyboard input and screen output to a foreign
platform such as dumb ASCII datastreams or the Windows presentation
interface; rather, they offer a "passthrough" or "transparent" mode, and rely
on the existing 3270 session to understand the EBCDIC datastream with only
the minimal unwrapping of the TN3270 protocol that is needed.

I sort-of buy this second "unusual" although there is a mapping from 3270
data stream to whatever technology presents the image on the monitor at
some stage in the path from the  arriving data stream to the signals sent to
the monitor and vice versa. Whether there is no involvement or some
involvement by the software which constitutes the TN3270 client product is of
no great concern to users - although a developer would have an intense
interest in such a point!

> There is also no need to bring SNA into the picture, ...

SNA was mentioned only because the OP seemed to be thinking in SNA terms.

When accessing legacy z/OS applications SNA becomes relevant to TN3270
servers in one of 3 ways:

1. As with the z/OS CS IP TN3270E server, the server concatenates a TN3270
connection to an SNA session to a primary LU application using the VTAM API
acting as the secondary LU and uses "formatted" requests on the SSCP-LU
session.

2. The TN3270 server concatenates a TN3270 connection to an SNA session
to a primary LU application using the platform SNA API acting as the
secondary LU and, typically, uses "unformatted" requests  on the SSCP-LU
session.

3. The TN3270 server concatenates a TN3270 connection to a pre/non-SNA
3270 channel appearance. VTAM supports this appearance and converts it
into an SNA session to a primary LU application using VTAM's non-SNA 3270
LU simulator acting as the secondary LU.

> Although the z/OS implementation of a TN3270 server does map the TN3270
session to an SNA one, this is not logically necessary.

... as indicated by case 3 since the channel appearance can be to a function
other than the VTAM simulator.

Chris Mason

On Thu, 26 Jun 2008 13:26:08 -0400, Tony Harminc
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

See extracts above