Well, if you *don't* initialize Unicode On Demand by issuing a simple command
at IPL time, DB2 Version 8 will detect that Unicode has not been initialized
and
will attempt to load the huge pre-built image.

Since the pre-built image load proces is not working for the original poster
(in
his original message, he said that DB2 was saying "Unicode is broken" or
something like that) he has to fix *something*, I would think.

Either make Unicode On Demand active prior to starting DB2, or fix the problem
causing the pre-built image to fail to load at the first start of the first DB2
Version 8 subsystem after IPL.

I prefer to initialize Unicode On Demand.  It just seems simpler to me....

Brian