In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on
07/02/2008
   at 04:29 PM, "Thompson, Steve" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

>Is it CKD vs. FBA?

Yes.

>Or is this caused by it being cheaper to emulate CKD
>on RAID?

AFAIK, the last real CKD device that IBM announced was the 3350; the 3375,
3380 and everything since have been FBA under the covers, and that was
well before the advent of RAID.

>IF FBA were such a wonderful thing, why hasn't some company that makes
>disk units (or did) put out FBA for "MVS" with their own device
>handler/driver?

Because there's a lot more involved than just drivers and because it would
be a nightmare to do it without active cooperation from IBM.