On 2 Jul 2008 14:23:25 -0700, in bit.listserv.ibm-main you wrote:

>On Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:29:50 -0400, Thompson, Steve wrote:
>>
>>Is it CKD vs. FBA? Or is this caused by it being cheaper to emulate CKD
>>on RAID? And then, to continue with 3390 based geometry because it is
>>cheaper to do that than to put out a new DASD device?
>
>What does you mean, Steve?  All of the disk drives that everyone makes
>today are FBA.  Do you think it would be more expensive for a DASD
>subsystem to emulate FBA using FBA disks than it is to emulate CKD using FBA
>disks?  In fact, I'm pretty sure that every DASD manufacturer today will let
>you define the logical devices as FBA.
>>
>>IF FBA were such a wonderful thing, why hasn't some company that makes
>>disk units (or did) put out FBA for "MVS" with their own device
>>handler/driver?
>
>What incentive does Seagate or EMC (for example) have to write a lot of code
>for MVS to support FBA devices?
>
>How would they support using all the undocumented and unsupported
>interfaces that they'd have to use to do it?
>
>How many customers would want to modify MVS with that level of changes
>from a third party vendor?
>
>How much existing code would break?  Example: PDS uses TTR in the directory
>to point to the member.  Lots of code depends on TTR.

The transition would be 5 - 15 years during which both would have to
co-exist.  My approach would be as follows:

1.  Replace SYS1.NUCLEUS with an enhanced IPL "track"/disk area.  I
don't think any one would care so long as it wasn't more than a couple
of gigabytes.

2.  Improve PDSE so that it is available at IPL and can be used for
ALL IPL data sets.

3.  Add a GDG function to ESDS data sets and allow them in
concatenations.

4   Enable all of the FBA related access methods on FBA devices.  Note
that VSE and VM should have much of the code which could be ported.

This would allow a migration path, better disk I-O routines because
FBA wouldn't have to be mapped to CKD.

Clark Morris