Rick Fochtman wrote:
---------------------------------<snip>-------------------------------
It sounds as if they're concerned about the application or operating system "math" required to convert an "emulated FBA sector number" to CCCCcccHR. You have to divide by some RPT (records per track) value to get track and record number. Then divide track by 15 to get cylinder, track, and record.
Why not just use BDAM and Relative Record addressing? As far as I know, that still works and it's pretty fast, too. :-)

That is a case in point. BDAM routines must convert the relative record number managed at the application level to CCCCcccHR for the channel programs it builds and convert the other way if it reads count fields, etc. I suspect the overhead to do this conversion is insignificant.

--
Edward E Jaffe
Phoenix Software International, Inc