Management has decided that it is time for the mainframe to go.  They've got
a project manager looking at a mainframe decommissioning project (feel my
pain?).  We are current now on z/os 1.7 and had ordered the 1.9 ServerPac
and are in the beginning stages of that.  Suddenly this project manager has
decided that the majority of our applications will be moved off of the
mainframe by the end of the year.  Along with that, they have my supervisor
asking for a risk assessment of NOT doing (completing) the 1.9 upgrade.

I would like to answer intelligently - not emotionally.  Of course, I know that
EOS for 1.7 on September 30, means that we will be "unsupported".  As far as
I know, I could still look for existing fixes, but could not expect phone
support
or new fixes.

Is this correct?

Also, this is a limited view of the operating system alone... what about third
party software that goes EOS - for instance, some of our CA products
will "sunset" in the September and December time frames, so if I felt it were
important to keep them supported, then don't I run the risk of: 1) not getting
an IBM fix for some new "discovery" with new CA software; 2) not actually
being supported by CA because my operating system is unsupported??

Any answers and suggestions of sound rationale for this "risk assessment" is
much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Peggy