Other post's good points notwithstanding, I would think the risks are
political, not technical. Yes, you can go 'unsupported'. All that really
means is any required support will be more expensive. You would, for
example, pay a per hour rate for IBM assistance if you run into a
problem no one else has encountered.

Most vendors will happily continue to collect licensing fees on
'unsupported' products. If you don't pay, many will stop working at the
end of the current license period. And, as others posted, it may be
costly to get reinstated.

About the only metric I can think of to quantify the risk is to get
quotes from your vendors for ad hoc (hourly) support.

Pragmatically, there is a pretty good business case for halting the 1.9
project. The costs become an issue if, and only if, the project fails,
runs over schedule, or turns out to be only partially successful. And
that's not going to happen by definition ;-)

Then there is the scenario where a thoughtful, risk adverse management
would seek to hedge bets. Somewhere between 0 and 1. Looking for ways to
facilitate that may cost you a little in the short term but may pay off
big time in the long run. Being a team player sometimes pays off in
unexpected ways.

HTH