Nothing wrong with Sam's point of view and agree it is the safest.

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 10:47:43 +0000, Ted MacNEIL <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Now, there is very little argument for sharing.

In a few cases, we have to.  Our Sun/STK VSMs and tape libraries are shared
across sysplexes, so their control files are also shared.  Not sharing would
be very costly... especially for a few small monoplexes that would need
their own HW if we didn't.

Our IODF volume is shared.

Other than that, nothing production ("run time") is shared.
(excluding the 2 sysplex MIMplex in one environment.... )

About 3 years ago we set new standards for installation to make it easier
for us to maintain ISV software across several companies and many different
sysplexes with less staff (many shops have gone through staff reductions
like ours).  There is a shared catalog with a single HLQ / ALIAS used to
install with and a few 3390-27 volumes for this purpose.   From a shared
ISV sysres maintenance volume, we clone separately for different environments.

But there are also a couple of other system volumes that the "MVS" group
owns that we share. These mostly contain documentation and other misc. data
sets not related to specific ISV installation files on the other shared volumes
(these existed  prior to the new install standard also).

Sharing DASD was around long before sysplex...

Mark
--
Mark Zelden
mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]