On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 16:31 +0900, Timothy Sipples wrote:
> Hal Merritt writes:
> >The OP asked how to evaluate and quantify the risks of being
> >unsupported. The consensus seems to be that the risks are minimal.
>
> If that's the consensus, I'll dissent at least somewhat.

My read is that the *probability* of failure is low.  This is different
from the risk, which could be high even in a low-probability situation.

The OP has a tough job; multiplying a small probability of failure
(which estimate is shaky at best) times a dollar amount arbitrarily
assigned to loss-of-service to the business -- an equally dubious
figure.  <little probabilities> X <big losses> is likely yielding a net
expected gain, which is why they're moving to peecees.

But they shouldn't be looking *only* at expected gain, 'cause sometimes
you get a bad beat.

--
David Andrews
A. Duda and Sons, Inc.