IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU> wrote on 07/21/2008
10:26:58 AM:

> We had an issue last week where we needed to add memory to one of
> our LPARs on the fly.  We keep some memory marked reconfigurable but
> we've never had to use it before.  We found out that we had to
> configure all our reconfigurable storage that the LPAR in question
> knew about online in order to get any of it online because you can
> only configure elements apparently.
>
> That's not the issue.  My issue with IBM is that when I went into
> the System Commands book to try and research why we had to do it
> this way and what our alternatives were I discovered that the
> section on Central Storage reconfiguration has not been updated
> since ES9000 days.  Since the book talks about how up to 64M of
> memory is broken up and since I was complaining because my machine
> wanted to vary memory on or off in 128M chunks (awfully small when
> you're talking about 50G) this isn't very helpful.

  Storage reconfiguration is not limited to elements.
You should be able to configure amounts and ranges of storage,
but the amount or range must be a multiple of the increment size.
Unfortunately, there is no MVS operator command to display the
increment size.  However, if you use SYS1.MACLIB(IHASCCB) to
map the area pointed to by CVTSCPIN (CVT+340), then
SCCBSAI (or if it is zero, use SCCBSAIX) allows you to compute
the increment size.

Jim Mulder   z/OS System Test   IBM Corp.  Poughkeepsie,  NY