2008-07-22 Wayne Driscoll <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now I realize that IBM has valid reasons for the limitation, but in my
> opinion, point 2 "You can run it on any System z10 machine" is more of a
> lowlight than a highlight.  Another example of IBM making things available
> at a low or no cost, but only to customers that have already spent millions
> of dollars.

Well I am not a lawyer, etc. etc. but as far as I can see the licence
agreement doesn't say you must run it on a z10 only. Perhaps there is
a genuine technical limitation, e.g. it uses some of the new
instructions or a new HMC interface, or maybe it specifically tests
for the right machine. Or maybe not. The only requirement I see in the
licence is that the machine must correctly implement the 64-bit z
instruction set, or words to that effect. The z10 would seem to be
more of an example of such than a requirement.

There is a requirement that if you run it on IFLs it be used only to
run Linux and its supporting applications. No big opportunity to
resurrect CMS application development on the cheap here...

Did I mention that I'm not a lawyer, or that treating my
interpretation as anything beyond speculation would be foolish?

Tony H.
I read the licence, but I didn't inha^Hdownload.