From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Mark Post
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 11:09 AM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM Evaluation Edition Now Available

>>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at 10:04 AM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]
om>,
"Ceruti, Gerard G" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David
>
> For us folks who are only looking to get z10 late this year early next
> 2009, is there not a way to evaluate on a z9.?

For some time now, it has been the case that IBM is willing to provide z/VM
for a no-cost evaluation.  (And not just z/VM, but IFLs and real storage.)
It's just been something of a pain to arrange, since there wasn't an
official offering for that, so there was a lot of bureaucracy involved.
That option is still available to people that don't have a z10, or likely to
have one soon.  So, in essence, the only thing that has changed is that z10
owners have a much easier way to evaluate z/VM for a proof of concept
project than was available before.  Hence, all the wailing and gnashing of
teeth and condemnations of IBM for "coming up short" are totally unfounded.

Mark Post