From: IBM Mainframe Discussion List [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf
Of Mark Post
Sent: Wednesday, July 23, 2008 7:10 PM
To: IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU
Subject: Re: z/VM Evaluation Edition Now Available

>>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2008 at  5:26 PM, in message
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Wayne Driscoll
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> Mark,
> If the way for people without a z10 has been "somewhat of a pain to
> arrange," and the new method removes that pain, with the added pain that
> need a z10, a machine that isn't (as of yet) available in a small scale
> version, IBM is indeed coming up short.

Nonsense.  All of IBM's customers have the same options they had before for
doing a no-cost evaluation of z/VM and Linux.  Now, more customers than
before have a less bureaucratic way of getting started on that evaluation,
because of technical advancements in the hardware.  That's called progress.
Calling it anything else would be like complaining you can't run z/OS 1.9 on
G5 CPC.  (And yeah, I know there are people that are willing to complain
about that also.)

> What percentage of IBM customers
> own z10's?  What percentage are under pressure from management to justify
> the alleged high expense of IBM mainframes, and could benefit from an
> evaluation of z/VM and Linux for System z?  I will bet that the second
> number is close to a factor of 10 higher than the first number.

And as I've said (repeatedly now), there's nothing stopping _any_ of the
customers in that second category from doing a no-cost evaluation today.
IBM will even lend you IFLs and real storage to go along with it.  What's
not to like?  Not much, from what I can see.  I think some people just like
to complain too much.

Mark Post