In a message dated 7/28/2008 10:55:50 A.M. Central Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>I certainly remember (though obviously not as clearly as Mr. Blair)
a  day and age when overriding DD statements were required to appear
in the same  order as the overridden DDNAMEs in the proc.  I was
delighted to see the  constraint relaxed.

Suppose someone who does not know that proc X is used by 10 other jobs with
overriding DDs in them decides to rearrange the DD statements within proc  X.
Which mode of processing by IBM would be better?  Another  possibility is
that beaucoup jobs use overrides for a universally available  vendor proc like
ASM, LKED, FDRxxx, CAwhatever, etc., and then the vendor  decides to rearrange
the DD statements within the distributed machine-readable  PROCLIB containing
that proc.  Yes, I know, we can blame change control  when the inevitable
errors are found.  But it would be better to avoid the  errors than to find
someone
to blame when they occur.  This situation seems  to me to be analogous to
users' building job streams that use output from  utilities like IDCAMS as
their
input and require data set names to begin in  column X and volser in column Y,
e.g.  Then IBM changes the format of the  utility's output.  And it's not
limited to IBM.  Data centers also  have locally developed programs that
generate
SYSOUT which is then used as input  for other programs, and the developer in
charge of a utility cannot be expected  to know all the downstream users of
his SYSOUT.

Bill  Fairchild
Rocket Software

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.