Ed,

The initial size limit of the EAV is still quite small compared to common
usage on other platforms and applications.

It is quite common for Open Systems to have just one to LUNs (volumes) per 8
disk parity group, so volume sizes of 100 to 500GB are quite common. Some
applications like film rendering want as large a single LUN as possible, so
1TB LUNs are already common in that line of business.

Backup and restore based on full volume dumps may  become an issue. I think
MVS is the only OS I come across where this is a common method. Most backup
software in the Open Systems world operates off volume level clones, but
backs up at the file level. If you expect to go to Extended Volumes in big
way then a file level backup strategy should be given some consideration.

Ron