Edward Jaffe wrote:
McKown, John wrote:
Getting the 'star' treatment is the all new 3390 Model A introduced in
z/os 10. This is a logical DASD volume with a slight increase in the
architectural limit of 65,520 cylinders to 268,434,453 cylinders. Gulp.
Did he say 268 mega cylinders? Yup.
Nah, call it the 3390EL for "Excessively Large". I cannot imagine
backing that monster up. But, then, compared to my PC's 500 Gb drive???

500 GB is nothing compared to the architectural limit for EAV. We're talking about over two hundred terabytes per volume!

Fortunately, IBM has taken a sensible approach and merely quadrupled the maximum volume size for the first generation of EAV over the existing 54GB per volume limit for shark/ESS.

Once the performance issues are identified and dealt with, much larger individual volume sizes should be possible. We could be looking terabyte-sized volumes within just a few years!

<irony on>
Wow!
Finally we have the size limit which was available for Windows for years!
What a progress!
2TB was an architectural limit for PC hard drive partitions *for years*, it was considered as an limitation and *relieved* several years ago!
<irony off>
Mainframe is trying to catch up the rest of industry. Big volumes, SAN features - all new things are introduced in open system world and then they try to adapt it into mainframe world.

I couldn't resist

BTW: I consider EAV as a big change *in our mainframe niche*. Outside of of the niche nobody cares.

--
Radoslaw Skorupka
Lodz, Poland

--
BRE Bank SA
ul. Senatorska 18

Sd Rejonowy dla m. st. Warszawy XII Wydzia Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sdowego, nr rejestru przedsibiorców KRS 0000025237
NIP: 526-021-50-88
Wedug stanu na dzie 01.01.2008 r. kapita zakadowy BRE Banku SA  wynosi
118.642.672 zote i zosta w caoci wpacony.