William,

Assuming you do not have any software with Primary or Secondary extent
reduction, or secondary extent increase rules. I'm talking pure dataset
allocation without any allocation recovery.

So, if the Primary was allocated in four extents, that means you can have an
additional 12 extents on the 1st volume. That's 2500 CYLs + 1200 CYLs for a
total 3700 CYLs. That means the second volume would have 7 secondary
extents. That is 6 of 100 CYLS and one of 31 CYLS (which is what happens
with RLSE in the JCL or MGMTCLAS).

That's one extreme. You could have 3 secondary extents on the 1st volume
(2800 CYLS) and 16 secondary extents on the 2nd volume (1531 CYLS), or some
combination in between.

I guess I'm not following what the problem is.

Ron