Recap:
>Situation came up on a client site where they received a very large file,
>2.988 million records, and allocate the file size at (cyl,(2500,100)) with a
>unit parameter of sysda,10; the file is received across 2 volumes in 20
>extents totaling 4,331 cylinders. I am not concerned about the extents, what
>I don't understand is the space allocation.

Explanation:
Reference: 1R9.0 Using Data Sets:

1.3.4.2 Multivolume Non-VSAM Data Sets
When a multivolume non-VSAM, non-extended-format data set extends to the next
volume,
the initial space allocated on that volume is the secondary amount.

In your instance, it looks like you got the first 16 extents on the first
volume, and,
the remainder of extents were allocated in 100 cylinder extent increments.

Ken Kripke
[EMAIL PROTECTED]