Chris,

In regards to the second part of your reply, I believe that the failure you
describe will only occur if the STORCLAS has the Guaranteed Space value set
to yes.

With GS=NO the Primary extent has to be satisfied from just one volume, and
allocation on subsequent volumes will only occur when all the space or
extents are exhausted on the first volume.

Whether a Primary or Secondary is allocated initially on subsequent volumes
for VSAM will depend on the DATACLAS.

Ron