>Micro managing was not my intention at all.  If the DBAs request that they
>want their archive logs separate from their bootstraps and so on, then I am
>simply trying to accomodate the users requests.

That, unfortunately, is micro-managing.
The only thing your DBA's should concern themselves about is their DBMS.
Dataset placement is your concern, not theirs.
As long as data is available, responsive, recoverable, and allocatable, they
should have no say.
If you're catering to a user area, you're micro-managing.
The whole purpose of SMS was/is to remove the user areas from the management of
storage.

-
Too busy driving to stop for gas!