Eric,

For your 2nd LPAR, have you considered simply cloning the existing system
and disabling the products that may cause you grief with your licenses or
MIPS usage? I think it will make your Basic Sysplex a lot easier to build
and maintain in the long run.

You've already figured the need to share UCATs, and keeping the Production
Volumes edited out of that system stop any accidental access. If you don't
use DUMPCONDITIONING it still means that datasets on the FC target volumes
can be accessed accidentally, so you may want to disconnect unnecessary
catalogs, and remove alias associations. This is the problem with the 2nd
LPAR backup method - it's an accident waiting to happen.

I guess you have looked at DFSMShsm FRBACKUP. If not, you may want to have a
look, but the applicability will depend on how much of your data is SMS
managed, and whether you wish to use FCV2 consistency groups (still appear
to unsupported for FRBACKUP).

DUMPCONDITIONING, is something I think you may want to have a look at it.
Seeing as FDR is a complete functional replacement for DFSMSdss I believe it
also supports this. You will find that you can accomplish everything you
want to do from a single system.

Setting up a 2nd LPAR for backup was something a few shops did back in the
early days of Snapshot, TimeFinder and Shadowimage, but DUMPCONDITIONING
with FlashCopy was developed to get around the need for a backup LPAR. Ipso
facto you no longer need a 2nd LPAR if you have FlashCopy compatible
products.

Ron