Ron,

Thanks for the information.  As I said in an earlier post, we don't have
DFDSS, so I can't do dumpconditioning.  I will take your
statement, "This is the problem with the 2nd LPAR backup method - it's
an accident waiting to happen.", and show it to my boss.  That might
be enough leverage to get FDRINSTANT, or the other product which I
can't remember the name of, but I doubt it.

Another problem with the 3rd lpar approach is that we have a GRS ring,
and as I understand it, a 3rd lpar contributes logarithmically to the wait
times.  That is why the 3rd lpar would be probably shut down except
for the weekly pack backups.

One question I do have though is if I am IPLing from a single or 2 pack
system, and I have a few things online, such as the Zara tape catalog
(which I know nothing about yet but soon will learn), or the
usercatalog the tapes are cataloged in, what happens since there is a
duplicate volume that was flashed?  Is that part of the accident waiting
to happen?

By the way, we don't have DFHSM either, and I don't know what
FRBACKUP is, but I assume that HSM is required.  I'm not sure if we
have FDRABR or not.  I'll probably call them on Monday.  I know we
have FDR and I think we have Compaktor, but I'm not sure.

In answer to Tom Conolly, since my internet connection at my hotel is
so slow, I will look at FDRINSTANT, but my hopes are not too high.  It
was good talking to you several days ago.

Eric Bielefeld

On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 00:21:22 -0700, Ron Hawkins
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Eric,
>
>For your 2nd LPAR, have you considered simply cloning the existing
system
>and disabling the products that may cause you grief with your
licenses or
>MIPS usage? I think it will make your Basic Sysplex a lot easier to build
>and maintain in the long run.
>
>You've already figured the need to share UCATs, and keeping the
Production
>Volumes edited out of that system stop any accidental access. If you
don't
>use DUMPCONDITIONING it still means that datasets on the FC target
volumes
>can be accessed accidentally, so you may want to disconnect
unnecessary
>catalogs, and remove alias associations. This is the problem with the
2nd
>LPAR backup method - it's an accident waiting to happen.
>
>I guess you have looked at DFSMShsm FRBACKUP. If not, you may
want to have a
>look, but the applicability will depend on how much of your data is SMS
>managed, and whether you wish to use FCV2 consistency groups (still
appear
>to unsupported for FRBACKUP).
>
>DUMPCONDITIONING, is something I think you may want to have a
look at it.
>Seeing as FDR is a complete functional replacement for DFSMSdss I
believe it
>also supports this. You will find that you can accomplish everything
you
>want to do from a single system.
>
>Setting up a 2nd LPAR for backup was something a few shops did
back in the
>early days of Snapshot, TimeFinder and Shadowimage, but
DUMPCONDITIONING
>with FlashCopy was developed to get around the need for a backup
LPAR. Ipso