John,

To be more precise, does IBM have a product that can backup a FlashCopy
target. The answer is yes - DFSMSdss using DUMPCONDITIONING.

What I think I am hearing hear is that with the basic FDR product you would
use the capability to backup offline volumes, meaning you don't need another
LPAR, and you don't need FDR/INSTANT.

The unfortunate thing in all this is that FlashCopy require the target
volumes to be genned to the same system as the Source volume, or the command
won't work. These means the duplicate volume time bomb is sitting around
waiting to happen. With Shadowimage, and I think Timefinder, the target
volume does not have to be visible to the Source Volume's LPAR, and you can
use Volume masking on the Storage to make sure it can never go online to
that LPAR.