On Thu, 18 Sep 2008 08:54:07 -0500, Tom Marchant <m42tom-
[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>At my last shop, a full refresh has been known to cause problems for the IMS
>folks.  I never understood why, and they claim that it was not because they
>had prestaged updates to LLA managed data sets.  Knowing what I do about
the
>change management process there, I tend to believe  them.  I do know that
>there were times that they came looking for me because I had performed a
>full refresh and they had to cycle some IMS regions.
>
>I don't know what else they might have been managing with LLA.  Remember
>that it's not just for linklist.

It still goes on here.  There are performance, as well as CM implications.

Our LLA MAXVIRT is a little more than 16M, but a little less than 300M (varies
by system), so a full refresh has a detectable impact, even outside of IMS.

The IMS team does a fair bit of pre-staging.  I don't know a hill of beans
about IMS (I can barely spell it), but if PSB, ACB, DBD, etc., changes require
region cycle, and these are LLA-managed, that's where the trouble lies.  "Us"
z/OS folk are gradually doing more pre-staging these days, so a full refresh
runs similar risks "our" products.

Bottom line - we try to stick to selective refresh, even on our sandbox (which
have IMS, DB2, and CICS, too), for both performance and availability reasons.

Regards,
Art Gutowski
Ford Motor Company ITI