I do this all the time. Before we had PPRC between our primary and DR site I
used to send not only adrdssu dataset dumps of catalog export files but entire
disk dumps back and forth between the two; nowadays I use it for releasing
software distributions from my systems development/test LPAR.

It seems strange at first to specify the EBCDIC option on a file that contains
binary, but it preserves the (otherwise undefined) record structure. As long as
you're not going to a target with a different code-page, you should be fine.

The FTP statements you can use for adrdssu dump files are

ebcdic
block
compress

site recfm=u lrecl=0 blksize=27998