On Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:50:24 +0200, Hunkeler Peter (KIUK 3)
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>(It's best not to overwrite the original input file because you
>>might need to try once more.)
>
>In case of iconv, I seem to remeber that it even doesn't support
>using the same file as input and as output.
>
>--
>Peter Hunkeler
>Credit Suisse

iconv does not write its output to a file. It writes its output to "stdout".
And doing something like:

iconv -f IBM-1047 -t ISO8859-1 data >data

is a poor way to make the file "data" into a zero length file. Which is what
the above will do.

--
John