If you used LRECL=1, then you did have a record boundary of 1, so it
was doing fwrite() with a length of 1.
This is because todsn() always uses QSAM.
As it turns out, even with a rational DCB, the C library is more
expensive than direct QSAM macros.
For this reason, it is likely that a future version of Co:Z will
bypass the C library for QSAM I/O.