Kirk Wolf wrote:
If you used LRECL=1, then you did have a record boundary of 1, so it
was doing fwrite() with a length of 1.
This is because todsn() always uses QSAM.
As it turns out, even with a rational DCB, the C library is more
expensive than direct QSAM macros.
For this reason, it is likely that a future version of Co:Z will
bypass the C library for QSAM I/O.

Kirk, have you checked out metal C? I can tell you this - in my experiments the code generated actually results in faster code then my hand crafted assembler. I'm very impressed by it. The compiler is pipeline aware and produces very fast code. If you want to drop down to using QSAM macros I would recommend it for a QSAM I/O library... It does bind you up to a z/OS 1.9 system though.

I've noticed that stdio is always less efficient then other languages for QSAM. This seems to be caused by double buffering due to the semantics of the stdio library functions. It moves data into the user supplied buffer with fread() but keeps it's own buffer so is doing two moves. I've reverse engineered most of the FILE fcb control block for the M4 port and will commit it to sourceforge soon.