I have had the same experience a couple of time.

The first was an application I inherited because I worked in assembly. It was
in COBOL and assembly. When I made the change to the assembly program and its
COBOL caller, I introduced the fourth level of COBOL. The maintenance structure
was setup to compile and link each module to an intermediate library without
NCAL. The final load module was built by linking these together. The new
version split a runtime module into 2 versions. One for display and one for
display
upon console (which also handled display). The final module contained both
copies, each having its own SYSOUT DCB. Results were a consistent abend dealing
with the SYSOUT DCBs.

The second was a COTS product but the root cause was the same.

Solution -
Compile all of the COBOL using the same compiler/assembler.
Link each module to a common intermediate library using NCAL.
Perform a final link to put it all together.
Both problems were gone.

As others have pointed out, if you own the DCB you are responsible for closing
it.

Dennis Roach
United Space Alliance
600 Gemini Avenue
Mail Code USH-4A3L
Houston, Texas 77058

Voice:     (281) 282-2975
Page:      (713) 736-8275
Fax:         (281) 282-3583
E-Mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]

All opinions expressed by me are mine and may not agree with my employer or any
person, company, or thing, living or dead, on or near this or any other
planet, moon, asteroid, or other spatial object, natural or manufactured, since
the beginning of time.