After talking to another co-worker, 2 more things come to mind:

1. If the OS/VS COBOL program is the one that opened the file and did not
close it, the COBOL library routines will NOT automatically close the file when
the application terminates. The COBOL library routines will only automatically
close any open files that were opened (but not closed) in VS COBOL II and
later programs.

2. If you have any of the older COBOL library data sets (e.g., OS/VS COBOL or
VS COBOL II) ahead of SCEERUN in the LINKLST concatenation, this will also
cause problems. You will have to remove the older COBOL library data sets
from LINKLST. Check your LINKLST for duplicate modules beginning with ILBO
or IGZ. For example, scan for ILBONTR and IGZEINI. If they appear in more
than one data set, you will need to remove the older library data sets.

In any case, you still should correct the original problem by closing the file
that was left open.

Rick Arellanes
IBM COBOL Development