On Wed, 29 Oct 2008 15:04:46 -0400, Farley, Peter x23353
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hi all,
>
>A question has been asked of me to which I think I know the answer, but
>not how (in)efficient it would be:
>
>Is there a z/OS-supplied function to convert GMT to local time (or back
>again)?

Yes. Look in the Language Environment manual,

http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/CEEA3100/CCONTENTS

watch out for the wrap!!

CEECBLDY will convert various "character" representations of dates into
"COBOL Integer Date" formats.

CEEGMTO will tell you the difference between GMT and LOCAL time.

CEESECS will convert date+time to a timestamp in "Lilian" seconds (since
00:00:00 14 Oct 1582) which you can then manipulate and convert back.

--
John