I can't point you to the document but I believe I've read AAA - IZZ are
"reserved" for IBM.

e.g. Syncsort are WER.

Our company has a 3 character stock market symbol and I use that as a
message prefix.

Craig S of the IBM Mainframe Discussion List <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
wrote
on 11/03/2008 10:05:36 AM:

> What I'm trying to do is create an internal standard that says all
messages
> begin with a particular prefix.  I'd like to be able to point to an
IBM
> document that supports the notion of, say, not writing messages to the
log
> that begin "DFH" or some such.
>
> I seem to remember reading that IBM recommended user applications that
issue
> WTOs should prefix their messages with a "U".  I've been back and
forth
over
> the MVS bookshelf, the MVS System Messages particularly, along with
the
WTO
> documentation.  I can't find this anywhere, did I just dream it?  Can
anyone
> point me at the document that says if I'm issuing a WTO I should
prefix
it