2008/11/3 Schneiderwent, Craig <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> What I'm trying to do is create an internal standard that says all messages
> begin with a particular prefix.  I'd like to be able to point to an IBM
> document that supports the notion of, say, not writing messages to the log
> that begin "DFH" or some such.
>
> I seem to remember reading that IBM recommended user applications that issue
> WTOs should prefix their messages with a "U".  I've been back and forth over
> the MVS bookshelf, the MVS System Messages particularly, along with the WTO
> documentation.  I can't find this anywhere, did I just dream it?  Can anyone
> point me at the document that says if I'm issuing a WTO I should prefix it
> with a "U" to avoid clashes with IBM messages?

I don't remember ever seeing that "U" recommendation, but for z/OS the
book with the list of prefix ranges is the SMP/E z/OS Packaging Rules,
SC33-3695.

Chapter 10, Naming Conventions, explains the rules, and lists an email
address (that I won't show here to avoid adding to their spam load)
where you can register a prefix with IBM for your own use. Such a
prefix is not only for messages, but for module names, and even UNIX
directory names under /usr/lpp/ . It seems likely that there is
implicit protection for things like ENQ names and entries in the RACF
FACILITY class, even if these are not officially on the registered
list.

Basically A-I are for IBM, J-Z for customers and ISVs. There are a
couple of other quirks, and there are various historical exceptions.
Nothing compels any vendor to follow these rules, of course, and
several prominent ones don't. IBM says it won't use any A-I prefixes
that contain numeric or national characters in the first three
positions, so you could use those, or the generic "ZZZ" for customer
written stuff.

Tony H.