Newsgroups: bit.listserv.ibm-main
To: <IBM-MAIN@BAMA.UA.EDU>
Sent: Sunday, November 02, 2008 9:48 PM
Subject: Need someone to fix a free HTTP Server written in Assembler

Hi Folks,

Here at www.cbttape.org we've started a new process. Sometimes a good software writer wants to write a package in an area where either:

1.  He/she is not too familiar, but wants to learn the subject better.

2. He/she does not have the facility at his/her home installation, to properly test a given product that he/she has written. An example would be if the installation has a back-level release of something running, and a version of the "user-written package" has to be tested at a later release level of the system it's supposed to be running under. Like an addon to SDF (Spool Browser for JES3) that is written for the latest version of JES3, but their installation isn't running the latest version of JES3.

We are doing something to remedy these problems. We are putting a preliminary version of such packages on the UPDATES page of www.cbttape.org and ASKING ANYONE WHO IS ABLE, to please FIX IT, GET IT TO WORK, and SEND IT BACK IN, so everybody will be able to properly use the new package. We will always mark such packages as "ALPHA" versions. For example:

A new HTTP Server was written in Assembler, and promises to be a good product eventually, but it needs fixing by an expert, because the author can only go so far, in his own testing and debugging. File 795 on the UPDATES page of www.cbttape.org needs fixing. PLEASE FIX THIS PACKAGE, if you have the expertise and willingness to contribute a really useful tool for the public good! THANK YOU IN ADVANCE.

Please also write to me about this idea, of putting tools that need some completion out on the Updates Page, and which are marked as being incomplete. ALL THE OTHER STUFF on the Updates Page, IF NOT SO MARKED, is considered by me to be "Production Grade Quality". Of course the CBT disclaimers always apply!

  I'd like to hear feedback from you all.

  All the best of everything to everybody.

Sincerely,   Sam Golob