On Sun, 2 Nov 2008 19:40:16 -0600, John McKown wrote:

>How will you coordinate multiple updates from multiple possible
>contributors? Or will each contribution "stand on its own" and "live or
>die" on its own merit?

Alas, this requires a moderator.  I haven't used CVS or Subversion,
but even so, I suspect a moderator is necessary.  And who would
host a CVS server?

I doubt that the CBTTape personnel have the resources to moderate
all the programs hosted by CBTTape.org;  the responsibility must
devolve to individual owners.  ESR has some comments on this in
"The Cathedral and the Bazaar".

I've contributed to various community development efforts using
diff/patch (Lynx, XTerm).  Diff and Patch are available on z/OS;
A moderator is required to reconcile and merge patches and to
host the resulting version.  And one (Charlotte) using CMS UPDATE,
again with a moderator reconciling patches  CMS UPDATE is not
available under z/OS.  IEBUPDTE is a poor cousin of CMS UPDATE,
but perhaps workable.

-- gil