2008/11/11 Edward Jaffe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
> Tony Harminc wrote:
>>
>> ... The Reg has also bought into IBM's line about "speciality engines"
>> being some sort of performance enhancers for Java, Linux, and so on,
>> rather than just a scheme for maintaining market differentiation
>> between Classic and New workloads.
>
> But, specialty engines *do* enhance performance of these workloads!
>
> Many users (us included) have sub-capacity CPs. Our current hardware is a
> 2096-L03. Each CP generates about 66 MIPS. The IFLs, zAAPs and zIIPs run at
> 470 MIPS -- or about seven times faster. We plan to get a z10 BC before the
> end of the year. On that machine, the specialty engines run at an
> astonishing 713 MIPS!

OK, OK - you (and IBM) win!  But you and most others here understand
that the "specialty engines" are not different in any way from normal
engines; indeed it's the "normal" engines that are artificially slowed
down based on what you pay. There's nothing wrong with this, of
course, except that people generally don't like price differentiation
based on things like how they use a product, or some kind of perceived
willingness to pay. It's no different from how airlines sell the same
seat to business vs vacation travellers so that you can find you have
paid 10 times as much as your seatmate, or why the "business" editions
of Windows Vista cost more than the corresponding "home" editions,
though there's almost certainly more code needed to implement the
fancy media features in "home" than the backup and such in "business".

The Reg, and others who should be able to dig a little deeper, have
accepted the implication that an IFL is somehow optimized or
specialized for running Linux, a zAAP for running Java, and so on,
when they're really all identical. Of course there's no reason IBM
couldn't make true specialty engines, and it won't surprise anyone if
they do at some point. And if that happens, doubtless IBM marketing
will treat them as just an addition to the current line of innovative
specials.

Tony H.