On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 14:09:47 -0600, Henrique Seganfredo
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>Hello folks,
>Surprisingly, the command line tool (/bin/snmp) that interfaces with
>the snmp agent task only gives me the opportunity to RECEIVE
>TRAPS and not to SEND THEM.  ...

It looks like a reply I gave over the weekend never made it.
I'll try again.  Sorry if this is a duplicate.  (I'll be even sorrier if it
disagrees with my previous attempt.)

I'm surprised to find that, too, but it appears to be the case.

If you have NetView there are 2 techniques you can useto generate
SNMP traps.

1.  NetView's "native" SNMP support command (cleverly named
SNMP) which supports all flavors of SNMP traps.  It is very flexable
and fully syupported, but it can be very slow.

2. The sample CNMSMSGT exec  in the CNMSAMP library.  It is quite
fast and well documented, but limited in function.  It generates only
v1 & v2c trap formats, and has to be given trap OIDs rather than
MIB names.  (I think it's the MIB name support that slows down
the native SNMP command.)

CNMSMSGT builds the trap datagram and uses NetView sockets to
send it.  That's a lot of work to go through if a z/OS-provided
function already existed to do the same thing.  That supports the
assumption that the function does not already exist.

BTW, it wouldn't be too difficult to use CNMSMSGT as a model for
a non-NetView implementation.  Converting the NetView socket
calls to REXX socket calls would be trivial.  There are a number of
NetView pipes that would have to be translated into REXX.
However, there licensing / copyright issues.  Since CNMSMSGT is
a sample you would probably be ok to use it locally as long as you
had a z/NetView license, but you'd probably run afouls of the law
if you sold (or even gavve away) your version or if you dropped
your NetView license.

Pat O'Keefe