Pat

Don's URL corresponds to IBM TCP/IP for MVS Programmer's Reference Version
3 Release 2, SC31-7135-02, of July 1996 which may well be when you last had
a look at the DPI. I even remember you posting something about the DPI so it
will be before 1999.

DPI is all about implementing RFC 1228 and here is the abstract:

<quote>

The Simple Network Management Protocol (SNMP) [1] Distributed Program
Interface (DPI) is an extension to SNMP agents that permits end-users to
dynamically add, delete or replace management variables in the local
Management Information Base without requiring compilation of the SNMP
agent.  This is achieved by writing a so-called sub-agent that communicates
with the agent via the SNMP-DPI.

</quote>

The SNMP API as described in Chapter 5. SNMP manager API, in z/OS
Communications Server IP Programmer's Guide and Reference Version 1
Release 9, SC31-8787-09, rather muddies the water. It claims to be the
*manager* API and does indeed support the GET, SET calls etc. but, as you
say - right in line with the original poster's expectation - we find support
for a
*notification* API:

<quote>

The SNMP notification API overview

The SNMP notification API is an extension of the SNMP manager API. It
leverages the SNMP manager API's functionality to send notifications to SNMP
agents, the SNMP notification receivers, or both. Available notifications
include informs and both Version 1 and 2 traps.

The SNMP notification API provides the following:

- A set of C functions and header files that your application can use to build
an SNMP notification originator. These functions are included within the SNMP
manager API libraries.

- The ability to build and send notifications for SNMPv1, SNMPv2c, and
SNMPv3 using the functions provided by the API.

</quote>

By muddying the water mean that I rather wonder why it needs to send this
presumably elevated from of trap, the "notification", to an SNMP *agent*.
There's no doubt that this API is for the creation of notifications rather than
just being some sort of relay.[1]

I was beginning to warm to the idea that the traditional, V1, SNMP structure
had been extended to allow traps, sorry, notifications, to flow in a peer-to-
peer manner between daemons which otherwise performed the function of
SNMP mangers in that they relied upon SNMP agents in a "client-server"
manner. However sending notifications to the SNMP agent just doesn't fit!!!

So, like you, I'm going to have to read up on these "super-traps" in order to
see what they're all about.

Chris Mason

[1] Also in the days when I taught SNMP on TCP/IP for MVS, I assisted with
classes on NetView for AIX where my colleagues taught SNMP more widely and
talked about hierarchies of SNMP managers. On the yearly special classes we
used to have Bert Wijnen himself used to cover the topic.