In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Nov 2008 09:23:10 -0500, Don Poitras
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> >If you're willing to write some code, you can use DPI to issue the
> >traps. See:
> >
> >http://publibz.boulder.ibm.com/cgi-
> bin/bookmgr_OS390/BOOKS/ezap4002/5.0

> I hadn't looked at DPI for several years so I had to refesh my
> memory.   I could have easily overlooked something, but as near
> as I can tell, DPI is primarily for communication between agent and
> subagent.   A subagent can use DPI to generate a trap.

Isn't that what the OP was asking how to do? Yes, this requires
the standard MVS SNMP agent to be up and running.

> However, (if I understand the term manager) it sounds like this
> really should be a SNMP manager function.  Sort of a manager to
> manager process (which may be outside of official SNMP use.)  I
> see in a z/OS 1.9 manual that there is an SNMP Manager API
> available in 1.9.  I'm stuck on 1.8 so I can't check this out, but I
> saw a "What's new" doc on the web that says:

> z/OS Communications Server also provides an extension of the
> SNMP Manager API, the SNMP Notification API, which
> leverages the functionality of the SNMP Manager API to send
> notifications to SNMP agents and/or SNMP Notification
> Receivers. Available notifications include Informs and both
> Version 1 and Version 2 Traps.

> I think this API is really the way to go if you have 1.9 or later.

The OP wanted to send traps, not receive them.

--
Don Poitras - SAS Development  -  SAS Institute Inc. - SAS Campus Drive
[EMAIL PROTECTED]           (919) 531-5637                Cary, NC 27513