On Thu, 27 Nov 2008 13:01:03 -0600, Chris Mason
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>>an improved implementation of the SNMP manager function in
>>>NetView has been mentioned. ...
>>I would call it "different" rather than "improved", though.  ...
>Regarding "improved": it seems I made the usual mistake of
>assuming that whatever was newer was also better! ...

Just in case the original poster has NetView but is dissuaded from
using it because of my comment: don't be dissuaded.

Either of the NetView techniques for generating traps is worth
using.  I think most of the inefficiency in using NetView's native
SNMP trap generation is (I think) in the MIB name-to-OID
translation.  If you happen to know the OID it is quite efricient.
And if you are not generating many traps at a time you will not
likely notice the inefficiency.

Chris, a big structural difference between the old and new SNMP
support in NetView is that the new one is synchronous - no new
SNMP request is given to the agent until it responds to the
previous request.  That eliminates the synchronization problem
that caused me grief, but can definitely slow down processing.
On the other hand, multiple OIDs can be requested in a single
GET request - up to however many fit into a request buffer (which
is either 2k or 4k - I don't remember which).  That doesn't help a
WALK very much, though.

Pat O'Keefe