On Sun, 30 Nov 2008, Shmuel Metz (Seymour J.) wrote:

> In <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, on
> 11/18/2008
>    at 03:42 PM, Jim McAlpine <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:
>
> >Is there any way to achieve the above ie to search for 'abc*xyx' where *
> >can be any length in all members of a pds.
>
> Any of awk, grep, PDS, StarTools.

>From my testing, the port of GNU grep will work on a PDS, but the standard
IBM supplied grep will not. This is with z/OS 1.8. Do you know if IBM grep
will work with a PDS on later releases of z/OS? And, will IBM awk work, or
will I need a port of GNU awk?

Oh, how I wish that IBM would standardize on the GNU versions of the UNIX
utilities instead of their own (which come from ???).

--
Q: What do theoretical physicists drink beer from?
A: Ein Stein.

Maranatha!
John McKown